Tuesday, September 16, 2008

AJCU Virtual Reference

I've started doing virtual reference again for our library consortium. I'm only doing it one hour per week, which is much better than two. Finding it much easier now than before, I think probably because I'm much more comfortable in text chat now.

The first week I got two questions, handled both quite easily, received much gratitude from the patrons. (When I asked one if he'd like me to stay around while he tried using a database for the first time, he was almost pathetically grateful. He was a really nice young man, probably a freshman doing his first ever research project.) Second week was totally dead, no action at all.

It's interesting to remember that the original reason I got into SecondLife was that I wanted to do virtual reference here and compare it with doing it for AJCU. Maybe someday I'll actually do that. :=)

No comments: