Monday, October 20, 2008

Internet Librarian

I'm at the Internet Librarian conference in Monterey, California. Oddly enough, the wifi in the Monterey Conference Center is terrible. I'd hoped to live-blog some of the speakers, but there was no connection available for any of the sessions I attended. There seems to be a good one up here on the 3rd floor of the Portola Hotel, so I hope this will go through properly. They announced that they will hold the next Internet Librarian here too, so I hope there is better wifi available for that one-- seems like it would be a given for an Internet conference.

There have been some great speakers here. Howard Reingold gave the keynote address this morning, speaking about how the web, cell phones, instant messinger, etc. connect people. He spoke about "flash mobs" where people use IM, Twitter and other online connections to organise action groups. Most of what he said was already familiar to me, because I follow him on Twitter andrecently heard him speak on SecondLife. But it was marvellous to hear him live.

No comments: